You will be presented with many challenges in life. Some will be easy and some will be very, very difficult. How you get through them will depend on your knowledge of and implementation of a particular matter.
The Meaning of Reliance (Tawakkul) on Allaah
Shaikh Saalih bin Fawzaan Al-Fawzaan
Haqeeqat-ut-Tawakkul ‘alaAllaah (pg. 7-14)
Al-Ibaanah.com (site no longer operating)
All praise be to Allaah, Lord of the all that exists, and may Allaah send His peace and praises on His Messenger, our Prophet Muhammad, as well as on all of his family members and Companions, and those who follow his guidance, tread his methodology and adhere to his Sunnah until the Day of Recompense.
To Proceed: Relying on Allaah (tawakkul) is one of the greatest forms of worship. Allaah says: “So upon Allaah, put your trust if you are truly believers.” [Surah Al-Maa’idah: 23] So He made relying upon Allaah (tawakkul) a condition for Eemaan (Faith).
Allaah said to His Prophet: “So when you have made a decision, then put your trust in Allaah.” [Surah Aali ‘Imraan: 159]
So He ordered His Prophet to put his trust and reliance on Allaah.
Allaah says: “O Prophet! Allaah is sufficient for you and for the believers who follow you.”[Surah Al-Anfaal: 64]
And He says: “And whoever is dutiful to Allaah, He makes a way out for him (from every difficulty). And He will provide for him from places he never could imagine. And whoever puts his trust in Allaah, He will suffice him. Verily, Allaah will accomplish His purpose. Indeed, Allaah has set a measure for all things.” [Surah At-Talaaq: 2-3]
And He says: “And whoever is dutiful to Allaah, He will make his matter easy for him. That is the Command of Allaah, which He has sent down to you. And whoever fears Allaah and keeps his duty to Him, He will expiate from him his sins and enlarge his reward.” [Surah At-Talaaq: 4-5]
Furthermore, Allaah has linked this reliance (tawakkul) to worship ( ‘ibaadah), as occurs in His statement: “So worship Him and put your trust in Him.” [Surah Hood: 123]
Allaah orders us to put our trust in Him, and He praises those who do it. He also states in many verses of the Qur’aan that He loves those who put their reliance in Him. All of this indicates and shows the importance of putting one’s trust in Allaah.
Throughout the week, answer the following to the best of your ability.
- What is one of the greatest forms of worship? How do you know–what is the proof for your answer (from the Qur’aan)?
- Which definition of the word “if” applies to this week’s topic?
- What do we do after making a decision?
- What is one of the ways we can cause Allah to love us?
- What is linked with worship? What is the proof for your answer (from the Qur’aan)?
- Think about the strength of your tawakkul. Put it on a scale of 0 to 10 where 0 is the no strength at all, and 10 is the strongest. How would you rate your tawwakul?
- What can you do to make your tawakkul stronger?
- Why is Allah sufficient for us? How do you know–what is the proof for your answer (from the Qur’aan)?