If you are interested in the audio version of the text, follow this link Al Qadaa wal Qadar Introduction [pdf] (Understand-Islam.net).
How to respond to “Allah did not write or ordain guidance for me”!?
Question: What is the correct response to someone who, when called to Allah’s way, says: “Allah did not write or ordain guidance for me”!?
Simply, the response is:
“Did you happen to know the Unseen? Or did you have a covenant with Allah?”
If he says: “Yes,” then he commits kuffr.
If he says “No,” then this is in harmony with the fact that no one knows whether Allah wrote and preordained guidance for. He calls you for His guidance, so take it:
“(Thus) does Allah makes clear to you (His Laws, and His Deen) lest you go astray.” (Qur’an 4:176)
“Allah wishes to make clear to you and guide you into the ways of those before you, and accept your repentance, and Allah is All-Knower, All-Wise.” (Qur’an 4: 26)
Dr. Saleh As-Saleh
Based on the book “The Salaf’s Understanding of Al-Qadaa’ wal Qadar“
(Allah’s General Pre-Decrees and Their Particular Executions)
Understand-Islam.net Published: 2006
Write one benefit you gained from this week’s reading. And here are several questions to further explore in your journal.
- What is the response to the one who denies being called to Islam because he says he was not guided to it?
- Who ordains what will happen?
- Who knows what has been ordained?
- What does Allah want for all people? Provide your proof.
- What do we learn about Allah from Surah 4: 26
- What is the proof that Allah is generous with the people he created?